What is the Leadership Trust Award?
The Leadership Trust Award supports students as they plan, develop and implement projects designed to improve UW-Madison, the community and/or the university student body. Each year, up to two (2) students receive awards equal to two (2) semesters of resident, full-time tuition plus project funds up to $3000 as justified in the submitted project budget.
Past award recipients have established mentoring programs for underrepresented students; collaborated with local organizations to improve community access to fresh, healthy and local produce; and founded an academic journal, the Madison Journal of Literary Criticism, to increase students' opportunities to see their work published.
Award winners are expected to submit progress reports to the L&S Faculty Honors Committee as required, and to identify a UW-Madison faculty member who will serve in an advisory/resource capacity.
How are recipients chosen?
- You are a currently enrolled L&S Honors Student (HLA, HM or Comprehensive Honors) with at least one (1) year of undergraduate study remaining at the time of the award
- Your cumulative GPA is at least 3.3.
Leadership Trust Award recipients are selected by members of the L&S Faculty Honors Committee. They will evaluate your application based on the following:
- Evidence of your achievement and leadership in co-curricular or public/community service activities
- Strength, rigor and clarity of your project proposal
- Clearly defined and justifiable project budget proposal
- Strength of letter(s) of recommendation
- Submission of evidence of concurrence with the project by any university or community group with whom you propose to work
- Progress towards completing your Honors in the Liberal Arts, Honors in the Major or Comprehensive Honors degree(s)
What is the application process?
Informational workshops are held each year for interested students and potential applicants. Honors On-Line will publish the date(s) of these workshops as they approach. Attendance is not required to be considered for this award.
The following materials must be submitted to the L&S Honors Program office as a packet:
- The application and budget form (also available from the Honors Program office)
- Required essay
- Project proposal submission
- One (1) letter of recommendation from a UW-Madison faculty member
- Your UW-Madison student transcript (unofficial or official)
When is the application due?
The application deadline usually falls in late-March. Please refer to Honors On-Line for details in the spring semester. (2017 Deadline is Wednesday, April 5)
Award status notifications will be mailed to applicants within two to three weeks of the application deadline.
If you have additional questions about the Leadership Trust Award, please contact the Honors Program office at (608) 262-2984 or e-mail email@example.com.