The L&S Honors Program is ideal for students who are excited about ideas and the life of the mind -- students who are curious, engaged, love learning and are eager to get the most from their experience at the university. It gives students an opportunity to go beyond the minimum requirements of the L&S curriculum and confront new challenges so they can grow intellectually. It offers some of the intimacy and friendliness of a small, rigorous liberal arts college combined with the variety and cutting-edge research of a large university.
Because Honors classes tend to be small, they offer greater contact with faculty and like-minded students. This allows students to explore topics in depth and discover not only what we know but how we know it, as well as what questions we are still trying to answer. The faculty who teach honors courses are committed to undergraduate education and excited about fostering the development of bright, high-ability students. They invite collaboration with students through the Sophomore Apprenticeship Program and encourage students writing Senior Honors Theses to engage in original research.
Outside the classroom, the Honors Program offers students opportunities to become involved in campus and community events. The Honors Student Organization (HSO) sponsors an array of activities that enables students to engage intellectually and socially with one another as well as with faculty.
In addition to a challenging curriculum and extra- and co-curricular programming opportunities, Honors students receive academic advising, support for introductory and senior thesis level research, and are eligible for funding for Study Abroad.
Join us if...
- You love learning and are eager to get the most from your studies at the UW
- You are willing to go beyond minimum requirements and confront new challenges in your efforts to learn and grow
- You like the idea of studying in small, friendly settings with some of the best students and teachers at the UW
- You are eager to become involved in original research at the cutting edge of knowledge, even as an undergraduate
- You want to prepare yourself to apply to the best graduate and professional schools in the country
- You believe in sharing your talents to benefit others
- You are hungry for the skills, experiences and friendships that will launch you on a lifelong quest for knowledge and personal growth