Are you interested in representing Honors students and helping shape decisions that impact the Honors Program? Would you like to gain direct experience with academic governance? Want to develop professional relationships with faculty from across L&S?
The L&S Faculty Honors Committee (FHC) seeks two student members for the 2022-23 academic year and beyond. FHC is responsible for Honors policy in the College of Letters & Science and evaluates proposals for research and other grants. As a student member, you would have a voting position, and the committee is eager for student input on decisions.
What is expected of a student representative on FHC?
- Be pursuing Honors in the Liberal Arts, Honors in the Major, or Comprehensive Honors in L&S
- Attend and participate in the three to four FHC meetings held per semester
- Exact meeting times will be scheduled after members are selected and are asked to share their availability.
- Meetings are typically 1.5 hours each.
- Meetings are held in Washburn Observatory. A Zoom option may be available.
- Prepare for meetings by reading and evaluating materials in advance
How do you apply?
To apply, submit a letter of interest by Sunday, September 11, to Professor Jenny Saffran, L&S Honors Program Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “FHC Student Representative” in the subject line. In your letter of interest, please include:
- How your background and experience will contribute to the FHC
- Your other major academic, work, and/or co-curricular commitments for the coming academic year
- Your anticipated graduation term and any plans that would make you unavailable during a semester, such as study abroad. Please note there is a strong preference for students who could serve on the committee for multiple years.
Thank you for considering this opportunity to contribute to the L&S Honors community!