L&S Honors Program

College of Letters & Science
Home >> Current Students >> Green Sheets

Green Sheets

The Summer 2018 deadline to submit Green Sheet proposals is July 13, 2018 at 4:30 PM. Please note: for summer term, the course must last for a minimum length of 8 weeks in order to be eligible for a Green Sheet proposal.

Occasionally, Honors students are eager to do more in-depth work in a class for which no Honors component is available. In such situations, the Honors Program has a process by which Honors students may petition for Honors credit to be added to the class. It's referred to as the Green Sheet. For more information about the Green Sheet, including details on eligibility and the Green Sheet process, please read the Green Sheet Information handout. We strongly recommend that you meet with an Honors Academic Advisor to discuss your Green Sheet plans.

To Green Sheet a course, you must:

  1. Submit a Green Sheet Proposal Form, signed by both you and the instructor
  2. Attach a typed Honors project description with your instructor's signature (details on the Green Sheet Proposal Form)
  3. Produce and submit a Course Change Request Form, signed by both you and the instructor.

IMPORTANT: We will not review your proposal unless your instructor's signature is on each of the three items listed above (proposal form, project description, and Course Change Request Form).

How many Green Sheets can I do?

Students pursuing Honors in the Liberal Arts can do a maximum of four Green Sheets, and no more than one Green Sheet per semester. Students pursuing Honors in the Major where limited courses are offered for Honors may be able to exceed these maximums.

Is it possible to receive dedicated Honors credit for a class?

Green Sheets result in the Honors Optional (%) component being added to a course. It is not possible to earn Automatic Honors through the Green Sheet process.

Can I get breadth credit for a class with a Green Sheet? 

If the class already has breadth attached to it, you will get the corresponding Honors breadth credit.

Can I do a Green Sheet even though I have never taken an Honors course?

Green Sheets are intended to be used in exceptional circumstances. Devising an appropriate Honors project for a Green Sheet is more feasible once a student has taken an Honors class. However, there are some circumstances where students can Green Sheet a class before taking an Honors course, such as when a student is enrolled in Honors in the Major where the major does not offer many Honors classes or has restrictions on enrollment. If this is the case, we suggest you make an appointment with an Honors advisor to discuss your particular situation and your options.

What makes a successful Green Sheet? 

Ideally, Honors projects are semester-long learning processes that enhance and enrich regular course materials. The Honors Program encourages Honors projects that are unique and creative. While writing an additional research paper can be a valuable learning experience, we invite you to consider alternative approaches to your Honors project. A little initiative can go a long way in making an optional Honors project an experience that will enhance the course material and not simply become "extra work."

Consider some of these ideas: 

  • Conduct an in-class presentation, lead discussion section for a week or prepare a handout or other visual aid for distribution to class members.
  • Create a film, musical composition, short story or painting, podcast or webpage. (Examples: modernize a German fairy tale or write a series of poems or songs reflecting Aztec narrative style or Cole Porter's literary approach).
  • Attend lectures, films or departmental colloquia and participate in discussions on topics relevant to the course. (Examples: participate in series offered by UW programs such as the Center for the Humanities, the Havens Center or the Law School).
  • Visit or volunteer at sites related to your class and keep a journal about what you observed or learn. (Examples: analyze the physics of an exhibit at Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry, tour Dane County to study glaciated and unglaciated regions, study works of art at the Chazen Museum of Art, observe ongoing research or treatment activities at UW Health Services or Hospital, or volunteer with a community organization or nonprofit).
  • Meet with your professor once a week to discuss additional readings and events related to the course material.

Sample Projects 

Sample Humanities Projects 

Sample Humanities Green Sheet Proposals 

Sample Social Science Projects 

Sample Social Science Green Sheet Proposals 

Sample Natural Science Projects 

Sample Natural Science Green Sheet Proposals