The Honors Student Organization (HSO) offers students an opportunity to extend what they are learning beyond the walls of the classroom to the larger world and, in the process, build a strong sense of community with their peers, faculty and staff members. The HSO focuses its efforts in four main areas: community service, extracurricular social events, community building outreach, and professional development. Honors students are also encouraged to initiate their own groups and projects that are supported and facilitated by the HSO advisor and officers.
All UW students are welcome to join the Honors Student Organization and work together to create the best undergraduate experience possible at the UW.
How do I get involved?
- Follow the HSO on Instagram: @uwmadisonhso
- E-mail email@example.com to join our mailing list.
- Contact the current HSO officers directly through the Honors Student Organization page on the Wisconsin Involvement Network
- Read your weekly Honors Online (HOL) newsletter. This will include upcoming events and meetings. If you do not currently receive HOL but would like to, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do I become a member?
If you are an L&S Honors student, you are already a member. You get to vote and run for the executive committee, request funds to support an HSO event or group, and benefit from networking with other Honors students and alumni.
Is this an “Honors only” thing?
Not at all! HSO events and activities are open to all UW-Madison students. Come join us!
What kinds of events and activities does the HSO sponsor?
HSO is a co-curricular organization; we focus on events and activities that contribute to the diverse intellectual, leadership, social and service interests of Honors students.
Wednesdays at Washburn
Come join us the first Wednesday of every month as we invite faculty from across the university to speak about their disciplines, research interests, and current projects. These informal sessions are usually start at 5:30pm or 6:00pm in the Washburn Observatory library. Dinner and a great time are included.
- Volunteering in the Lakeshore Nature Preserve
- Cultural Events such as The Madison Opera
- Study Socials
- Social Events such as ice skating/basketball/game nights
We welcome suggestions for events and activities! If you have any ideas, please share them with the HSO officers.