Welcome to HSO!
The Honors Student Organization (HSO) offers students an opportunity to extend what they are learning beyond the walls of the classroom to the larger world and, in the process, build a strong sense of community with their peers, faculty, and staff.
The HSO focuses its efforts on four main areas: community service, social events, community-building, and professional development. HSO students are also encouraged to initiate their own groups and projects! Check out some past events below!
If you are an L&S Honors student, you are already a general member! Join us for any and all events. HSO events and activities are also open to all UW-Madison students. Bring your friends! Check out the calendar below for more opportunties.
You can always reach out to HSO to learn more about the organization! To do so, please use any of the links below. You could also follow the HSO Instagram page (@HSOBadgers) and read your weekly Honors Online (HOL) newsletter for event info!
Frequently Asked Questions
This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.
Will events be in-person or virtual for the 2021-22 academic year?
HSO anticipates that events will take place both in-person and virtually. We would like to accommodate as many students as we can! For information about the location for specific events, please review the Honors Calendar item for the event!
How can I access the virtual events?
Virtual events will be hosted in a zoom room. Once you arrive in the zoom room, you will be admitted by the event’s host. We ask that you please use your first and last name when attending HSO events virtually. We encourage you to have your camera on and your microphone off as you enter events.
Please use the following link: TBD
Is HSO an "Honors Only" thing?
Not at all! HSO events and activities are open to all UW-Madison students. Come join us!
What are the benefits of joining HSO?
HSO is a co-curricular organization; we focus on events and activities that contribute to the diverse intellectual, leadership, social, and service interests of Honors students. Through our events and activities, you will not only improve your skills in these areas but you will be connected to some of the most exceptional and motivated students on campus!
What are some examples of events?
- Tea & Talk: Social gatherings, both virtually and in-person, focused on community and conversation. These are often focused on a primary topic but can also be a simple space to communicate.
- Virtual Study Groups
- Lakeshore Clean-ups
- Wednesdays @ Washburn: These Wednesday events bring HSO students together, often over dinner at Washburn Observatory to listen to one of UW-Madison’s esteemed faculty members share about their research! These events are amazing opportunities to network.
- Honors Trivia Nights
- High and low ropes courses: As community building exercises, HSO will often make trips around Madison to work with the Adventure Learning Program through the use of both high and low ropes courses. HSO also takes advantage of ground courses (for those who may not be thrilled about heights!)
- Outdoor Pursuits: Many HSO students value a connection to nature. Each year, we put an emphasis on social events happening outdoors. In the spring of 2021, HSO led a nordic ski event on Lake Mendota!
- Many more! Do you have ideas? We would LOVE to hear them!