The Honors Student Organization (HSO) offers students an opportunity to extend what they are learning beyond the walls of the classroom to the larger world and, in the process, build a strong sense of community with their peers, faculty, and staff members. The HSO focuses its efforts on four main areas: community service, extracurricular social events, community-building outreach, and professional development. Honors students are also encouraged to initiate their own groups and projects that are supported and facilitated by the HSO advisor and officers.
All UW students are welcome to join the Honors Student Organization and work together to create the best undergraduate experience possible at the UW.
How do I get involved?
- All HSO events can be found at the bottom of this page! If you scroll past the flyers, you will find calendar items with more information.
- Follow the HSO on Instagram: @uwmadisonhso
- Contact the current HSO officers directly through the Honors Student Organization page on the Wisconsin Involvement Network
- Read your weekly Honors Online (HOL) newsletter. This will include upcoming events and meetings. If you do not currently receive HOL but would like to, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Many events during the academic year 2020-21 will be held virtually via Zoom. To access our virtual events, you can view the link information in each of the events listed at the bottom of this page. For many events, we will use the following information:
- Zoom link: https://uwmadison.zoom.us/j/93569503942?pwd=K3dOWmRabUtLRDd1VWdKVGJKcnZKdz09
- Meeting ID: 935 6950 3942; Passcode: 264206
How do I become a member?
If you are an L&S Honors student, you are already a general member. As a general member, you have the ability to participate in as many or as few events as you would like. If you are particularly interested in being more involved, you can become an active member. You then would get to vote and run for the executive committee, request funds to support an HSO event or group, and benefit from networking with other Honors students and alumni.
Is this an “Honors only” thing?
Not at all! HSO events and activities are open to all UW-Madison students. Come join us!
What kinds of events and activities does the HSO sponsor?
HSO is a co-curricular organization; we focus on events and activities that contribute to the diverse intellectual, leadership, social, and service interests of Honors students.
- Tea & Talk
- Virtual Study Groups
- Letter Writing
- Wednesday at Washburn
- Honors Trivia Night
We welcome suggestions for events and activities! If you have any ideas, please share them with the HSO officers.