How can I make the most of my meeting with an Honors Program advisor?
We encourage you to:
- Arrive a few minutes before your appointment is scheduled to begin. Or, if you are seeing an advisor during drop-ins, come at least 15 minutes before the drop-in period is scheduled to end
- Brainstorm questions and topics to cover in advance
- Your advisor is likely to recommend action steps – take time to complete these after your meeting
- Strive to be engaged, open-minded, and respectful
What can I expect from my Honors advisor?
Your Honors advisor will:
- Provide a safe space for asking questions and sharing concerns. Advising appointments are conducted in an informal and open environment; however, if you would like a more private space for the conversation, let us know! We would be happy to close the door or make similar accommodations. Confidentiality cannot be universally guaranteed because of mandatory reporting in cases where an individual has been harmed or is at risk of being harmed
- Know the UW-Madison and Honors in the Liberal Arts (HLA) degree requirements, policies and procedures
- Connect you to information, campus resources and tools
- Connect you with academic departments and programs as well as campus and community resources
- Encourage meaningful self-reflection and inquiry, and collaborate with you as you explore options, develop plans and progress toward your goals
- Assist you as you make decisions about courses and careers. However, advisors will not make decisions for you
- Respond to you in timely manner. We will do our best to respond to email inquiries within two business days. Keep in mind that during peak advising times (e.g., the first and last two weeks of the semester and enrollment time) it may take us longer to respond. Please remember that we operate during standard university hours (8:00-4:30, Monday-Friday) and that all of our advisors have different schedules. If you need a quick response, please email email@example.com or (better yet) come in for drop-in hours!