The L&S Honors Program awards 4-6 study abroad grants each spring, with students receiving grants funded either by Thomas and Debra Kurz or a group of former faculty directors of the Honors Program. Students only need to fill out the Honors study abroad application (information below) to be considered for each award.
What are the Kurz and Directors’ Travel Grants?
The Kurz and Directors’ Travel Grants award $1250 to eligible L&S Honors Program students participating in a UW-Madison academic study abroad program in the upcoming academic year. Students spending either one semester or one year abroad may apply for this award, although preference is given to those participating in year-long study abroad programs.
Who is eligible to apply?
You can apply for a Kurz / Directors’ Travel Grant if you meet the following criteria:
- You are a currently enrolled L&S Honors Student (HLA, HM or Comprehensive Honors)
- Your cumulative GPA is at least 3.3 (students with GPAs under 3.3 can still apply, although awarding can take GPA into account as a criterion)
- You will participate in a summer, semester- or year-long UW-Madison academic study abroad program during the upcoming academic year.
How are recipients chosen?
Kurz and Directors’ Travel Grant recipients are selected by members of the L&S Faculty Honors Committee. They will evaluate your application based on the following:
- Progress towards completing your Honors in the Liberal Arts, Honors in the Major or Comprehensive Honors degree(s)
- Strength of statement of financial need
- Strength of essay submitted in conjunction with application
What is the application process?
The following materials must be submitted to the L&S Honors Program office as a packet:
- An updated 2022-23 application will be shared soon! For reference, the 2021-22 application form is available below.
- The required written essay
- One (1) letter of recommendation from a faculty member
- Your UW-Madison student transcript (unofficial or official)
When is the application due?
Applications are typically due in late March or early April. More information will be shared soon! Please follow the Washburn Observer Honors newsletter for those details.
Please email your materials to email@example.com. Your letter of recommendation can be sent separately to the same email address.
Award status notifications will be mailed to applicants within five weeks of the application deadline.
If you have additional questions about the Kurz or Directors’ Travel Awards, please contact the Honors Program office at firstname.lastname@example.org.