The Letters & Science Honors Program currently offers several different grants, scholarships and awards for introductory and senior thesis research, study abroad and research related travel, and community and university service projects. For more information about these funding opportunities, including directions on how to apply, please follow the links below.
Introductory Research Experience Support
Apply in spring of first or second year for funding during summer
- Honors Summer Sophomore Research Apprenticeship Grant
- Available for the summer before or after a student’s second year on campus
- Enables students to pursue what would otherwise be an unpaid introductory research experience under the guidance of a UW researcher
- Please note that this opportunity is similar to, but distinct from, the campus-wide Sophomore Research Fellowships.
Senior Honors Thesis Research Support
Apply in spring of junior year for funding during the summer before senior year
- Honors Summer Senior Thesis Research Grant
- Helps students with research-related expenses for work toward senior Honors thesis
- Stipend of $3000
- Barry L. Popkin Senior Thesis Research Award
- For students doing research in the area of economics or social sciences, with priority going to students who are doing research in lower-middle income countries outside of Europe.
- Stipend of up to $3500
- All applicants to the Summer Senior Honors Thesis Grant will be considered for the Popkin Grant.
- Mark Mensink Honors Research Grant
- Honors Program’s most prestigious senior thesis award, recognizing the most distinguished senior thesis proposal submitted to the program each spring.
- All applicants to the Summer Senior Honors Thesis Grant will be considered for the Mensink Grant.
Academic Year Awards
Apply in fall of senior year
Study Abroad Grants
Apply in fall or spring (depending on your study abroad term(s))
- Kurz and Chuck Snowden Honors Directors’ Fund Study Abroad Awards
- For Honors students studying abroad on an official semester or year-long UW program
Research-Related Travel Grants
Applications accepted on a rolling basis
- Bromley Conference Travel Award
- For Honors students presenting their findings at research conferences
Community or University Service Project Funding
Apply in spring when you have at least two semesters left before graduation
- Cyrena Pondrom Leadership Award
- Supports student projects to improve UW-Madison, the community and/or the university student body
- Provides up to two Honors Program students with funds equal to two semesters of resident, full-time tuition, as well as up to $3000 of funding to help them implement their ideas
You are more than welcome to connect with an Honors staff member with any questions. To do so, you can email Interim Associate Director of Admissions and Research Pete Keys (firstname.lastname@example.org) and/or the Honors Advising Team at email@example.com. Additionally, you could schedule an appointment with Pete and/or an Honors advisor through Starfish.